Saturday, April 2, 2016

Why Rachel Platten's Stand By You is the Perfect Self-Love Anthem

For years I have followed, tweeted at, fallen deeper and deeper in love, with Rachel Platten. Her talent, dedication, and passion have been evident from the very start. And now, I'm finding another reason to love her. (Which is insane because, though we've never met, when I see her succeeding I am so tears-in-my-eyes-proud it's like she's me, or my sister, or my best friend.)

Life is hard. And sometimes we give up on ourselves quicker than we should, we talk worse to ourselves than we would ever about anyone else. We pick on ourselves when given compliments. We limit our belief in ourselves. We watch others succeed and think it's because they have something we don't. And by "we" I mean "I." It's a bad habit, one that started young, and, I'd suspect I'm not alone.

Recently I was pushing for some goals that required a bit of team work and where only a few weeks prior I was surrounded with votes of "You've got this!" "I am going to help!" "We can make it happen!" "Call me Friday!" - the deadline approached and suddenly everyone's phones were dead. Or muted. Or lost. Or eaten by some mystical Harry Potter death sucker demon. I looked around, and I was for the most part, alone. Being alone is something I've never been very good at. I feed off of other's energy and creativity. But life is a journey, so I refused to stress (too much). And as I drove around doing errands, Rachel Platten's "Stand By You" was on and I found myself singing it. And by singing, I mean I pretty much was Rachel. And I was rocking it hard. But to whom?

Me.

Because, dang it ladies, we need to stand by OUR SELVES. I don't care how it sounds at first, we ALL have multiple sides. And if you're anything like me, part of you will be absolutely dying and ready to quit everything at the exact moment the other side of you is begging you to chin up, chest out, and fight on.

"Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through" Yes, baby girl, we are breaking down. But we are also going to break through. And when the broken half of you has broken wings, borrow them from the stronger side of yourself until you're ready to open those suckers back up. Because there is always a reason to fight. To persist. To live. ALWAYS.

Rachel also teaches us about persistence. When I first found her music, it was around 2011 and she was relatively unknown, compared to where she is now that is. This girl never gave up. Her reaction to hearing her song on the radio brings tears to my eyes, it's so real! Even if music isn't your goal, what are your wins, big success moments?  How will you feel when you earn your first Mary Kay car? Or the first time a patient requests you to help them? When you graduate? From 1000 ships to Fight song - know what she did? She hustled. Many will see her current success and  think it came quickly, but you and I know differently.  

Here are the lyrics to the song, from AZ Lyrics. And the music video. Love yourself, guys, because everything starts with you and if you can't stand by you, sing it loud and proud until you can! And keep fighting for the dream in your heart and a way to make it happen. God wouldn't let it stay on your heart if there wasn't a reason!


"Stand By You"
(even if we can't find heaven, heaven, heaven, heaven, heaven, heaven)

Hands, put your empty hands in mine
And scars, show me all the scars you hide
And hey, if your wings are broken
Please take mine so yours can open, too
'Cause I'm gonna stand by you

Oh, tears make kaleidoscopes in your eyes
And hurt, I know you're hurting, but so am I
And, love, if your wings are broken
Borrow mine 'til yours can open, too
'Cause I'm gonna stand by you

Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
Even if we can't find heaven, I'm gonna stand by you
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you

Yeah, you're all I never knew I needed
And the heart—sometimes it's unclear why it's beating
And, love, if your wings are broken
We can brave through those emotions, too
'Cause I'm gonna stand by you

Oh, truth—I guess truth is what you believe in
And faith—I think faith is having a reason
And I know now, love, if your wings are broken
Borrow mine 'til yours can open, too
'Cause I'm gonna stand by you

Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
Even if we can't find heaven, I'm gonna stand by you
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you

I'll be your eyes 'til yours can shine
And I'll be your arms, I'll be your steady satellite
And when you can't rise, well, I'll crawl with you on hands and knees
'Cause I... I'm gonna stand by you

Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through (come on)
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
Even if we can't find heaven, I'm gonna stand by you
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
Love, you're not alone
Oh, I'm gonna stand by you
(even if we can't find heaven, heaven, heaven)
Yeah, I'm gonna stand by you






Now that you're in love with Rachel like I have been, check out some of her older stuff! Her "Be Here" CD is one of my all time absolute favorites.

Seriously, she's adorable, how do you not love her?!

No comments:

Post a Comment